Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sass-A-Frass

Sass has been an important part of my life. I have had him since Aug/7/1985, he was my best friend, my lil green baby. He is my bird. I would talk to him when I had no one, his first words were "whatcha doin huh?" scared the crap outa me, sitting at my desk getting ready for school and this lil squeeky voice asks me what I was doing. When I got him he had some training left to do. He was a biter but also a lover. When I fell in love with him was one night, I was sitting in my room watching TV and he was sitting on my shoulder and burried himself in my hair and fell asleep. I loved him from that moment on. He was pal, my buddy my first born.
He used to take rides with me in the car, he loved that. One day after a ride, I got out and he flew away. I ran for him hours, praying that God bring him back to me, sitting in my tears I hear this lil voice. Sherrie, sherrie... (he learned my friends name and never mine..lol) I found him in a tree, I climed the fence and took him home. From there, we moved together many times, even to and From North Carolina.

I was still in High school, had a lota time to spend with him, got married... he was mine and husbands baby. He was allowed to wonder the house when he wanted. life became a lil busier and his trips out of his cage became less and less... worried he would get hurt became an obsession. I could not let him out because in my mind I thought I would lose him, so I keep him in his cage, he sits there all day. I say hello and goodnight... that is it.

Holding onto him is wrong, I cannot continue this selfishness. He has a lot of life in him, years I pray and his quality of life is worth more than me.

I have decided to give him to my sister Tiffany, she will love him, and give him a much better quality of life.
So, my lil guy will leave me today.

1 comment:

  1. No one will love Sass more than you- he's the only male in your life who has never hurt you, who has never made you cry.
    I disagree with giving him up - you will be home now for some time - you say you are disappointed with yourself for not treating him better but that doesn't have to be the way it is, doesn't have to be the way of the future - it is in your control. This is in direct response to that dog letter you sent me (I didn't get it at my yahoo account like my past emails from you - it was in my new hotmail acct and I read it today.) and I think you are reading too much into the message of that letter - to me it means the dog wanted desperately to reconnect with its first owner and to feel that earliest love it ever got from another being. That was the tragedy of that story but it was also a message that it is never too late that's why the author wrote it - as a cautionary tale. You are not like that dog owner - you never purposely neglected Sass nor did you ever make him feel unloved. It is what you feel about yourself that you have to contend with and tossing aside loved ones doesn't hurt them so much as it hurts you because you feel you do not deserve that love. And please Vick, you have to stop hating yourself, stop looking for things that you've done or said or neglected in the past. And don't tell me anyone could love Sass more than you OR anyone can care for him better than you. You've had him and taken care of him for 24 years! He belongs with you and if he had a higher functioning grasp of the English language he would tell you that himself. He loves you and you know you feel it - and you are deserving of it.

    ReplyDelete