Thursday, August 27, 2009

Katydid or didn't he?

The other day when I noticed the Black Widow she was devouring a katydid... I'm not a fan of either bug but am terrified of the katydid and it's terrifying sound it makes..tktktktktkt. I get the heebi-jeebie's just thinking about them. I sprayed the nest and I can see there were a lot of fat ones... They are creepy but their silk they spin is amazing...I felt no remorse in killing these spiders because they had invaded my space and can be deadly, but today, on my back porch was a katydid, I grabbed the bug spray and sprayed and sprayed and sat back to make sure it was dead... he was trying to get the liquid off his antennas as fast as he could... his legs rubbing at his face... he just sat there dying and not making that sound... I watched as he fell and was making his last attempt at surviving and I had such sadness. I looked at him up close and he just looks like a living, flying leaf... I had to look up this bug that I have been so terrified of my entire life. Here is what I found:

"We mentioned in our piece on cicadas that the Katydids would begin their singing in mid-late summer. They are beginning to go strong now here in New England.
Open that window, shut off the TV, and let those wonderful, soothing, romantic, sentimental, poignant, sleepy-time night sounds roll in to feed your soul. And engrave it in your heart - we only have so many Augusts in our lives. For the katydid, it's their one and only - no wonder they sing their hearts out, until a hard frost kills them all.
You hardly ever see a Katydid - they are well-camouflaged in the green leaves but they are all over. Early evening and nighttime are when they make their music - more like Kay-did than a three-syllable tune. It sounds as if they are singing to each other. With the crickets providing the chirping background theme, it's a fine choir out there right now, at night. The bugs own the world."

I've never been one to just kill bugs, just those that scare me or are dangerous, I am the woman who sees a Rolly polly and will make sure it gets back to the grass, or when we have a rain storm and all the earthworms are forced onto our patio, I put them back where they belong also. Not because I am some weird bug lover but try to look at all bugs and figure out their purpose, there is nothing in the world that was made by accident or by man himself. There is a purpose for all creatures, right down to the ant. Bed bugs? I see no purpose for them to be in my bed...those are an enemy and someone else can figure out their purpose....


Sincerely,
The bug lady

3 comments:

  1. Dear Bug Lady:
    What is your favorite insect in the whole world? I love praying mantises and walking sticks. I remember one walking stick I found up north looked exactly like a tree twig and I put him on my arm and was playing with him - trying to get him to walk on a stick I put there. It was fun and I started talking to him about how nice it was for him to be able to live in the woods and he said that he tried living in the city but felt out of place. I mean, his insect friends would laugh at him because he kept trying to look like a plastic house plant twig and they told him he should wax his body so he shined like the plastic plant. He was not amused and kept withdrawing from them and started to take long walks by himself in the parks. One day he happened upon another walking stick but this one was an older lady. He introduced himself and told her his name (Steve) and she said her name was Emily. He told her his story and asked for her advice as to what he should do because he was miserable. She gave him some money and told him to take the bus out onto Rte 45 and head north. She said that the further you go the more you would find other walking sticks like him and maybe be more comfortable in their presence. He thanked her and turned to leave but then thought of something. "May I ask you one more question, Ma'am?" She said sure and so he asked his question. You gave me good advice but I need to know why you live here if you know it is so much better for us to live up north? She looked at him and said "I was born here, like you, and wanted to be by our kind up north too but I got married and my husband thought the city was the best place to live. I've never even been up north." Steve looked at her, looked at the money she gave him and then looked back at her and asked her increduously "well your advice was a pile of shit then, wasn't it?" She laughed and replied "I gave you the advice and told you to take the money because I wanted you to get as far away from me as you can, you whiny little pisspot!" Then looking at me Steve said "I left anyway and am alone pretty much out here too but I blend well and the food is definitely better. I think I'm happy but who really knows, eh?" I told Steve that I liked his philosophy and putting back in the tree I wished him well and continued on my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment #2
    Dear Bug Lady:
    Just a follow-up on the above comment. It appears Steve the Walking Stick could actually be a Stephanie. After my story I went to Wikipedia for the scoop on the sticks. It appears Phasmatodea (all plant stem look alike insects) has only very few males in their species - they reproduce by parthenogenesis - a self-contained embryonic development system -thus making males superfluous to the species. I know, I know - women are soooo special.. Go here for a few pics:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasmatodea

    Ok. Now the story I did about Steve/Stephanie is what I want you to try with your writing. Take any kind of subject and write a story.
    Love, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... I gotta a laugh and will TRY

    ReplyDelete